Location: FlyFarm Brisbane
Overview of the role
The Biologist role at FlyFarm is an exciting blend of science and technology at start-up speed. The role also has a strong interface with the founders, industry stakeholders, investors and customers, thus requiring a confident communicator. As a Biologist at FlyFarm you will be responsible for all Research and Production Biology at our Brisbane Facility.
What to expect:
- Start-up business in the fast-growing industry of commercial Black Soldier Fly Larvae farming
- Wide ranging role, with important responsibilities
What you’ll be doing:
- Overseeing the company’s insect Breeding and egg production operations
- Fine tuning Breeding and Nursery practises to improve egg production and neonate survival rates
- Involvement in day-to-day colony maintenance
- Coordinate onsite research projects in conjunction with external institutions, including Queensland and James Cook Universities plus industry groups and customers.
- Confident communicator to interface with industry stakeholders, investors and customers
- Identifying areas for improvement, design and undertake rigorous scientific trials
- Perform data analysis and draw useful conclusions that assist the company in developing best practises for enhanced livestock performance and end product quality
- Design and undertake internal research that focuses on the company’s priority agenda, such as:
- Feedstock (food waste) trials to assess suitability parameters and impact on livestock performance
- Analysis of end products to ensure rigorous product safety and that compositional requirements are met
- Ongoing development of Flyfarm’s broodstock-specific fly strains
- Identify areas for improvement in company processes and infrastructure design
The work requires some physical exertion such as walking over wet, rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities. The work requires moderate physical ability and average agility and dexterity.
Work is performed in an office, laboratory, and/or in the field. The nursery, office, factory are adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated. Temperature and weather extremes may be encountered in the performance of the outdoor work. Field and laboratory duties may require the use of special protective gear.
- A Bsc Degree or higher in Biology or other Science is essential
- You must have unrestricted rights to live and work in Australia
- You will need reliable transport to travel to and from work to apply for this job.
What you’ll need:
Successful candidates will be passionate about FlyFarm’s mission, and keen to grow in this hugely exciting new industry. Insect experience is not essential, as on-the-job training will be provided. However, the successful candidate will possess the following qualities:
- Must be highly self-motivated, self-starter with strong initiative
- Must be able to work collaboratively in a small team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Flexible and adaptable nature, able to shuffle priorities and take action
- High level of initiative
- Attention to detail and proven track record of scientific trials
- Interpersonal qualities and business acumen
- Excellent time management
- Genuine passion and interest to pursue a career in Australia’s rapidly-expanding commercial insect industry
Some weekend work and reasonable additional hours are required.